Generic Timoptic is used to treat open-angle glaucoma and other causes of high pressure inside the eye.
Eye Conditions Timoptic (Generic)
Generic Timoptic (timolol ophthalmic) is a beta-blocker that also reduces pressure inside the eye.
|Quantity||Our Price||Price Per bottle||You save|
How to take
Use Generic Timoptic exactly as it was prescribed for you. Do not use the medication in larger amounts, or use it for longer than recommended by your doctor. Follow the instructions on your prescription label.
Wash your hands before using the eye drops.
Do not use this medication while you are wearing contact lenses. Generic Timoptic may contain a preservative that can be absorbed by soft contact lenses. Wait at least 15 minutes after using Generic Timoptic before putting your contact lenses in.
To apply the eye drops:
- Tilt your head back slightly and pull down your lower eyelid. Hold the dropper above the eye with the dropper tip down. Look up and away from the dropper as you squeeze out a drop, then close your eye.
- Gently press your finger to the inside corner of the eye (near your nose) for about 1 minute to keep the liquid from draining into your tear duct. If you use more than one drop in the same eye, wait about 5 minutes before putting in the next drop.
- Do not allow the dropper tip to touch any surface, including the eyes or hands. If the dropper becomes contaminated it could cause an infection in your eye, which can lead to vision loss or serious damage to the eye.
Do not use the eye drops if the liquid has changed colors or has particles in it. Call your doctor for a new prescription.
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using this medication and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- swelling or redness of your eyelids;
- eye redness, discomfort, or sensitivity to light;
- drainage, crusting, or oozing of your eyes or eyelids;
- depressed mood, confusion, hallucinations, unusual thoughts or behavior;
- wheezing, gasping, or other breathing problems;
- swelling, rapid weight gain;
- chest pain, slow or uneven heart rate; or
- feeling short of breath, even with mild exertion.
Less serious side effects may include:
- blurred vision, double vision, drooping eyelid;
- burning or stinging in your eye;
- headache, weakness, drowsiness;
- numbness, tingling, or cold feeling in your hands or feet;
- ringing in your ears;
- dry mouth;
- nausea, diarrhea, loss of appetite, upset stomach;
- skin rash or worsening psoriasis;
- sleep problems (insomnia); or
- cough, stuffy nose.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur.
Generic Timoptic can cause blurred vision. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be able to see clearly.
Do not use any other eye medication unless your doctor has prescribed it for you. If you use another eye medication, use it at least 10 minutes before or after using Generic Timoptic. Do not use the medications at the same time.
Before using timolol ophthalmic, tell your doctor if you are using any of the following drugs:
- Generic Clonidine (Catapres);
- quinidine (Cardioquin, Quinadex, Quinaglute);
- digitalis (digoxin, Lanoxin, Lanoxicaps);
- Generic Diamox (Diamox), dichlorphenamide (Daranide), or methazolamide (Neptazane);
- oral timolol (Blocadren);
- any other beta-blocker such as atenolol (Tenormin), bisoprolol (Zebeta), labetalol (Normodyne, Trandate), metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol), nadolol (Corgard), penbutolol (Levatol), pindolol (Visken), propranolol (Inderal, InnoPran), sotalol (Betapace), and others;
- a calcium channel blocker such as diltiazem (Tiazac, Cartia, Cardizem), felodipine (Plendil), nifedipine (Procardia, Adalat), Generic verapamil (Calan, Covera, Isoptin, Verelan), and others; or
- antidepressants such as citalopram (Celexa), escitalopram (Lexapro), fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem), fluvoxamine (Luvox), paroxetine (Paxil), or sertraline (Zoloft).
This list is not complete and there may be other drugs that can interact with Generic Timoptic.
Use the medication as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and use the medicine at the next regularly scheduled time. Do not use extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
Store this medication at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Keep the bottle tightly closed when not in use.